You’ve questioned it, we’ve questioned it, maybe even our carrots have questioned it! How on earth does Veggie Saver work its magic? Well, we decided to team up with Australia’s Applied Horticulture Research and put Veggie Saver to the test!
If getting A++ was possible on a test, that would be our results! We can proudly say that Veggie Saver is SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN to keep fruit and veggies fresh for 2 weeks or more!
We admit it, we’re boasting. But who wouldn’t after big news like this? The results are in and we are so excited to share them! This is just the beginning of our research journey, and we can’t wait to do and share more! 👩🏻🔬
The aim for this research was to compare storage life and quality of fruit and veggies in a Veggie Saver to the same produce using conventional packaging materials such as plastic bags, paper and no packaging, all in a domestic refrigerator.
We started small, and selected three fruits and veggies that our customers ask the most about: broccolini, blueberries and parsley (leafy greens). We bought them all at a major retailer outlet and stored them for 4 weeks in 4 different ways:
- A Veggie Saver (flap folded)
- A plastic bag (twisted to close)
- A paper bag (top folded)
- Open (no packaging)
Broccolini, parsley and blueberries kept in a Veggie Saver remained fresh and marketable for more than 2 weeks. In some cases, storage life increased up to four weeks compared to the other storage options.
Studies found that Veggie Saver increased the storage life of blueberries by 38%. Placing the punnet inside a Veggie Saver significantly increased storage life compared to simply storing the punnet inside the fridge. A moist Veggie Saver reduced softening and shrivelling as well as the appearance of rot. Blueberries kept in a Veggie Saver resulted in storage life extending over 2 weeks, going from approximately 13 to 18 days, an extension of 38%.
Studies found that Veggie Saver increased the storage life of broccolini by 25% compared to plastic. The results suggest that broccolini would remain acceptable for approximately 8 days with no packaging, 10 days in a paper bag, 3 weeks in a plastic bag and 4 weeks in a well-hydrated Veggie Saver. This represents a 25% increase in storage life inside a Veggie Saver compared to a plastic bagStudies found that a moist Veggie Saver was crucial in keeping the weight and quality of leafy green produce like parsley. Increased moistening of the Veggie Saver during weeks 2 and 3 not only slowed this rate of weight loss and yellowing/rotting, but appears to have resulted in slight re-absorption of moisture of the parsley. Results concluded parsley stored open and in paper was completely wilted after only 1 week.
Veggie Saver’s efficacy was indisputable, providing major quality improvements over storing vegetables in other storage options such as plastic, paper bags or simply placing them in the crisper drawer with no packaging. Storing produce in a Veggie Saver consistently reduced weight loss and dehydration. Maintaining higher levels of hydration slowed wilting over the weeks and rehydrated stems of veggies. Produce was still marketable after 2 weeks in a Veggie Saver and still edible after 4 weeks!
Approved Scientific Claims:
1. Veggie Saver keeps fruit and veggies fresh for over two weeks*
* Broccolini, parsley and blueberries kept in Veggie Saver remained fresh and marketable for more than 2 weeks. In some cases, storage life increased up to four weeks.
2. Veggie Saver extends the life of fruit and veggies for over two weeks*
* Broccolini and blueberries kept in Veggie Saver resulted in storage life extending over 2 weeks
3. Veggie Saver increases storage life of fruit and veggies up to 38% longer than when stored in plastic*
* Studies found Veggie Saver increased storage life of blueberries by 38% compared to ordinary punnets only, and increased storage life of broccolini by 25% compared to plastic
4. Studies found Veggie Saver increased storage life of veggies like broccolini for up to 4 weeks (25% longer than plastic)
5. Veggie Saver provides major quality improvements over storing vegetables in a paper bag or simply placing them in the crisper drawer with no packaging
Yearning for some learning? Discover everything you need to know about Veggie Saver here!